Nimalan Mahendran

Hello! 👋🏾

I'm really glad that there's a community around the intersection of climate change and machine learning!

I spent the most of the last decade applying ML to social media (fighting misinformation and abuse and other applications to platform safety, language models, content relevance and ranking, ads relevance and ranking, ML infra, etc) and left that world in mid-2020. After spending about 8 months exploring tools for knowledge work, I decided to take a break and figure out what was really important to me.

Some near-term fiction I read (e.g. American War by Omar El Akkad and The Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson) and recent events (heat waves, wildfires, floods - all with increasing frequency and intensity) made it clear to me that working on climate change mitigation and adaptation is probably the impactful thing I could work on. I found this community through the survey paper at https://arxiv.org/abs/1906.05433v2.

I hope to connect with others and learn the most high leverage ways that I can use my skills to help out!
Like Comment